Jun 27, 2017

When her daughter called her fat, this mom had the perfect response


When Allison Kimmey asked her kids to come out of the pool, she didn't expect her daughter's reaction. Cambelle, 4, was upset about leaving the water and told her brother that "Mama is fat."

Kimmey, 30, was floored.

"I was wondering where that even came from since we don't do that in our house," the mom from Cocoa Beach, Florida, told TODAY Style. "I also didn't want to perpetuate the idea that using the word fat was an insult. So I asked her to meet me upstairs so I could have a few minutes to gather my thoughts before I reacted."Cambelle felt bad about what she said and quickly apologized, but Kimmey still used the incident as a learning opportunity for both Cambelle and her 6-year-old son, Graham.

"The truth is, I am not fat. No one IS fat. It's not something you can BE," Kimmey told her kids, according to an Instagram post she wrote later about the conversation. "But I do HAVE fat. We ALL have fat. It protects our muscles and our bones and keeps our bodies going by providing us energy."

Kimmey, who is currently writing a children's book about body positivity, also told her kids that everyone has different amounts of fat, "but that doesn't mean that one person is better than the other."

The kids seemed to absorb their mom's message. Kimmey wrote on Instagram that they repeated it back to her. "I shouldn't say someone is fat because you can't be just fat," they told her, "but everyone HAS fat and it's okay to have different fat."

No comments:

Post a Comment