Whitney Houston’s years of cocaine abuse led to her tragic death, it was revealed today.
The pop icon had cocaine in her system when she drowned in a hotel bathtub, according to the official report released by the Los Angeles Coroner.
She sunk into the bathwater after suffering a massive heart attack caused in part by her prolonged drug abuse.
Following the news, Houston's family have released a statement that says: 'We are saddened to learn of the toxicology results, although we are glad to now have closure.'
And her mother Cissy is reported to be 'shocked' to learn that her daughter was still using drugs at the time of her death.
According to TMZ, Cissy believes the star began taking drugs again due to stress over her comeback, but thought Houston to be sober as she filmed the movie Sparkle.
The ruling is an ignominious ending to the superstar’s fall from grace.
It also ends weeks of speculation over how the 48-year-old pop icon died, with some members of her family even suggesting foul play may have led to the surprise death on February 11.
Ed Winter, spokesman for the coroner’s office, said the official cause of death was accidental drowning.